Sunday, May 1, 2011

One Night

I tiptoed into the back of the theater, not wanting to disrupt the meeting on stage. I settled into the front row and placed the costumes on the chair next to me. Instantly I scanned the group on stage. Our eyes met and he winked. I smiled and quickly looked away- hoping no one had noticed. I was revealed when my friend beckoned me to join her in the backstage area. It was becoming hard not to stare at him.

Of course he found me as soon as he was free.
"Hey babe. How are you doing? You look lovely."
"Um thanks. I'm alright! Finally found the rest of the outfits. Still have a bit of a paper to work on after this..."
His expression made it clear he had something to tell me.
"Ok- whats up?"
"I decided I'm going to break up with *******."
I gasped. We had talked about this. But I never thought he would ever... I mean I was leaving soon. Was he really that serious about...?
"I just can't stop thinking about you" He stepped closer "And I know its not fair to her. But I think we have a chance. When you get back- I really think we have... a future."
I didn't know what to say. It was the words I had wanted to hear from him since day one. Was I dreaming?
"You... are you sure? I mean... of course I'm happy! But are you making the right decision?"
"Yes I know I am. I want you luv. I'm going to do it tonight."
The director called for him. He pulled me into a quick hug and swaggered off. My mind was still reeling.

I woke up the next morning to a text message.
Hey babe. She was asleep when I got out so didn't call her. But maybe you're right. I should think it over some more. Love you.
Fuck that change of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message. We'll get back to you as soon as we can.